JOB OPPORTUNITY: Junior Communications Consultant on the BIG DATA Team [CLOSED]
The CGIAR Platform for Big Data in Agriculture seeks candidates for a one-year, paid Junior Communications Consultancy with the possibility to extend.
The BIG DATA Platform builds capacity throughout CGIAR to generate and manage big data, assisting CGIAR and its partners’ efforts to comply with open access/open data principles to unlock important research and datasets. It also empowers researchers to strengthen data analytical capacity, developing practical big data tools and services in a coordinated way, and it addresses critical gaps, both organizational and technical, expanding the horizon of CGIAR research. The BIG DATA Platform is co-led by the Alliance of Bioversity International and the International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT) and the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
Several of the key projects and initiatives of the BIG DATA Platform that the Junior Communications Consultant works closely with include the Inspire Challenge, an annual innovation process that awards more than one million USD to groundbreaking, big data-enabled projects working to solve development challenges, the BIG DATA Communities of Practice, six global research groups that aim to leverage technology and new data resources to create broader and deeper impact in programming, and the annual Big Data in Agriculture Convention, a week-long gathering of scientists, researchers, technologists, development experts, policy analysts, donors, advocates, change agents, last-mile implementers, and many others that takes place at a different CGIAR Research Center each year.
CGIAR is a global research partnership for a food-secure future dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security and improving natural resources. The Alliance of Bioversity International and CIAT and IFPRI are members of the CGIAR Consortium.
- Develop, write, edit communication materials e.g. reports, fact sheets, infographics, presentations;
- Participate in developing and implementing communications strategies in support of the activities and outputs of our six Communities of Practice and our Inspire Challenge project portfolio;
- Assist in managing BIG DATA’s social media presence: identify content and images for social media posts; monitor, analyze and regularly document social media presence and refine approaches accordingly;
- Coordinate online campaigns around annual conference and special events
- Help identify topics, research, write, and edit articles and interviews for the bigdata.cgiar.org website and regular newsletters;
- Participate in planning, material development, logistics for annual conference, held in a different location around the world each year.
- Proven writing and editing/proofreading skills
- Comfort with reading and summarizing technical content
- Experience with social media content development and monitoring
- Ability to manage simultaneous multiple assignments
- Experience working on deadline
- Interest in agricultural/ international development, agricultural research, and/or agriculture or food-related science
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Proactive, good interpersonal and teamwork skills, as well as the ability to work independently and remotely when required
- Interest and/or skills with online communications platforms such as Mailchimp and WordPress, with design and video editing skills a plus
- Interest or background in journalism or news writing
- International background and/or interest in international affairs a plus
The ideal candidate will be able to commit for at least one year and have an undergraduate degree in communications and/or journalism. This is an entry-level position. Knowledge of Spanish, science, agriculture, and agricultural development are advantages.
The BIG DATA Platform offers junior consultants a monthly stipend paid in US dollars, health insurance, and an airline ticket to and from Cali, Colombia. The position will be remote till the time that travel to Colombia is appropriate.
The BIG DATA Platform, via the Bioversity International and CIAT Alliance research center, will assist in obtaining necessary travel documents, including a visa. While in Colombia, transportation will be provided to and from Cali city center to the Center’s campus situated in Palmira.
To apply, please email a letter of interest, a resume, two writing samples and contact information for two references to [DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS HAS SINCE PASSED].
The BIG DATA Platform and the Alliance of Bioversity International are equal-opportunity employers and strive for staff diversity in gender and nationality.
August 31, 2020
The BIG DATA Team
CGIAR Platform for Big Data in Agriculture